Recently KK-Louise, my 1971 VW Bus met an automated car wash. The car wash ate the last of the original 44 year old antennae. The attendants at the car wash were able to grab the whip that broke off and it was full of rust. I was pretty happy with how this one worked so I ordered a replacement from the Bus Depot. They had a chrome replacement, just like on my bus for $20.00. The new antennae is a bit lighter than the old one but looks the same.
To do the job I needed a 3/4″ wrench for the big nut, an 11mm wrench for the old antennae base, an 8mm wrench for the new one and some pliers.
Removing the old antennae was straightforward. I’m lucky as my hand and arm were able to contort to reach the 3/4″ nut and the little 11mm bottom nut. I found I had to use pliers to loosen the wire that runs from the radio to the antennae.
Once I took the old antennae off there was some watermarks around the old location. I used some cleaner wax to remove the watermark and then put the new antennae in place. The new one went right in but I did find it helpful to start the top nut first or it wanted to tumble out of the hole.
The only snafu was the antennae wire from my original antennae used an older style connector so I had to replace the wire. The new antennae came with a compatible wire so it was just a matter of reaching around in the back of the radio and unplugging the old one and putting in the new one in. I was happy to have my radio manual which helped as there was both the antennae and a sub plug area.
Overall the installation was straightforward and is now rust free so the next time I think an automatic car wash is a good idea, it just may not get ripped off. The reception is great with the new antennae.